When it comes to landscaping, we usually don’t think of the month of October, however, there are still a lot of things to be aware of and keep top of mind. You will want to do whatever you can to ensure that your yard will be in top shape before winter is in full swing. It always pays off to be prepared after all!
- Late October (when the ground starts to freeze) is an ideal time to fertilize the lawn. This will give your lawn an extra boost for spring.
- Soak your evergreens so they are well hydrated.
- You may be itching to store your lawnmower, but did you know that you should still be cutting your grass? It may be growing at a much slower rate than summer, but it is still growing.
- Rake or otherwise remove leaves from your lawn. Shred them and use as mulch or add them to your compost, as compared to burning them or throwing them away.
- If you plan on planting evergreens, think mid-month. You will want to allow them enough time to root out into the existing soil before the ground freezes.
- With the days getting shorter, you may want to think about lighting in your yard. Do you have enough lighting for both safety and security reasons?
And now the FUN part….
Check out these Halloween landscaping ideas and be the talk of your neighborhood:
- Convert your dead flowerbeds into mini-graveyards. Buy props from your local hardware center such as skeletons and tombstones.
- Hang things like lights, witches, ghosts, plastic pumpkins, and spiderwebs on your trees. Just ensure that they are tree-friendly.
- Decorate your porch with jack-o-lanterns.
And one of the coolest ideas…use raked leaves to make graveyards in your front yard:
If you are looking for a professional landscaping company in Coquitlam, call us at ATC Landscape. We are proud to have an A+ BBB rating and we also provide FREE estimates.