It’s important that you take care of your cedar hedge trimming to keep your hedges well-shaped, healthy, and growing well throughout the summer.
Here are some tips:
- Use a rake to remove dead branches and needles that have fallen into your hedge. This gives room for new branches to grow.
- Spread compost, fertilizer, or peat soil on the ground, underneath the branches to feed your hedge nutrients.
- Trim the branches of your hedge based on the shortest ones, but don’t cut off too much if you want to increase the height of your hedge.
- Trim the sides of the hedge to help it grow in all directions.
- It is a good idea to trim every 6 inches of growth to prevent it from growing out of control (just don’t trim more than 1/3 of the hedge each year).
- Keep the base of the hedge a bit wider than the top part. This will help snow fall to the ground easier.
- Refrain from trimming your hedge on the hottest days.
- Water your hedge on a regular basis to promote root growth. This helps the hedge collect the minerals it needs. Cedar hedges will also lose fewer needles if they get an adequate amount of water.
If you don’t feel confident in taking this on yourself, be sure to hire a professional landscaping company to ensure you get the job done right and as efficiently as possible.
Your top choice for cedar hedge trimming in Coquitlam is ATC Landscape. Contact us today for a FREE quote: 604-720-2853. We also serve the areas of Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows.