It’s crazy how fast time flies with September already here! The days are getting shorter, and the nights are getting cooler. This is a good (but not always welcome) reminder that fall is just around the corner and you know what that means? It means that it’s time to start thinking about preparing your garden for the onset of winter.
Fall is the ideal time to:
- Plant shrubs and trees
- Remove annuals
- Cut back perennials
- Get your lawn in a healthy state for next spring
Many people don’t realize how important it is to keep watering. If your trees and shrubs are deprived of water now, it will cause them a lot of stress during the winter months.
What are the key tasks to do in September?
- Move any potted plants that can’t survive the winter inside (be sure to check them thoroughly for pests first)
- Bring clay pots indoors
- Weed – the more weeds you pull now, the less that will go to seed next year (this can save you a lot of work)
- Add manure or compost to your garden beds
- Plant new shrubs and trees at least six weeks before it frosts
- Plant flowering bulbs
- Water trees and shrubs until the ground freezes
- Clean your gardening tools
- Clean your bird feeders
- Fertilize your lawn
If you are looking for a top landscaping company in Coquitlam, call us at ATC Landscape. We are proud to have an A+ BBB rating and we also provide FREE estimates. What have you got to lose?!